Our community blogs
It’s been quite some time since we communicated what’s been happening on the Virtual Tabletop (VTT) environment for Metanthropes, so we’d like to bring everyone up to speed with what we have been working on. Last time we blogged about it, we came up with a few key features that the ideal VTT should possess. To summarize, we wanted the VTT for Metanthropes to meet the following criteria:
1. Free to play
2. No installation required
3. Support our new D100 system
4. Assets that support multiple genres
5. A plethora of effects during gameplay
6. Integration with our website
Based on our analysis of what was available at the time, we went with Astral VTT as our chosen platform. We spent a great deal of time and effort to bring Metanthropes Open Alpha to Astral VTT and we were quite pleased with the results. From our initial set of criteria, Astral was a great fit, without however the possibility of integrating with our website. Fast-forward to today, the Astral VTT platform has closed its doors and shut down their servers and service offerings. We have been searching for a new home for Metanthropes ever since Astral initially announced their decision to shut down their services, and we would like to inform you that this search is now over.
Over the past couple of months, we have been prototyping and testing with our esteemed Patrons and Closed Beta members the new VTT home for Metanthropes: Foundry VTT. We are extremely pleased with the work that has been done so far in bringing Metanthropes into Foundry VTT and the feedback from our early testers has been overwhelmingly positive!
We have been keeping an eye on Foundry’s development over the past couple of years and we were quite reluctant to jump onboard at first, as there was a definitive need to bring on board a full-time developer in order to be able to take advantage of Foundry’s capabilities. Since early 2023 and with the help of AI tools such as ChatGPT we have been able to kick-start development of our own set of modules for Foundry VTT and work on this will proceed with haste until we reach our set of milestones.
You can see our planned release schedule & milestones in more detail over at our repository on GitHub but here is a brief summary of what to expect in the coming months:
1. First and foremost, we want to bring the full ruleset of Metanthropes RPG to Foundry VTT, to ensure our players and Narrators get the best possible experience.
2. We want to leverage Foundry VTT’s powerful platform in order to help automate a lot of the things that traditionally take time to happen with Tabletop RPGs. Automating all the math required to calculate the results of the dice, automating damage and healing done and many other small things that take time to track properly and distract players and Narrators from the actual gameplay.
3. We want to utilize the amazing community of 3rd party developers and module creators that have enhanced Foundry VTT’s baseline features with some amazing extra capabilities. We will officially support and take advantage of the best from the plethora of available mods to create a smooth and exciting gameplay experience for both Narrators and players alike.
4. We will be integrating Foundry VTT with our own website, in order to give Protagonists, the possibility to synchronize their character sheets and enable them to gain access to all the content they have unlocked, while giving everyone access to the latest available content updates.
5. Create unique visual and audio effects for every Metapower, Combo and Dimension, to make playing Metanthropes a truly unique and immersive experience.
You may find the most up-to-date information on the current status of the Metanthropes RPG System for Foundry VTT by viewing the latest release notes on our GitHub repository and you may also create a new issue for submitting bug reports and feature requests.
The current version of the Metanthropes System for Foundry VTT is not yet available for everyone, as we continue to develop our features for the initial release with the exceptional help and feedback of our Patrons and Closed Beta Members. New members can enjoy a demo via an Introductory Session. If, however, you would like to gain access to the current development builds for your own playtesting, please reach out to us via Discord. If you have a great deal of experience running games with Foundry VTT, we would love to hear your feedback and suggestions.
- Read more...
- 0 comments
By The Orchestrator,
When we started developing Metanthropes RPG, we were initially aiming to release the game in a printed book format. As we are no strangers to Tabletop RPG games, we were fully aware that having all the rules and Metapowers in a printed-only format would not be enough, and we were always planning to have an online-companion that would help players find the content they were looking for in an intuitive and easy way.
Our plans changed when the Pandemic of Covid-19 shook the world. For the first time, we were forced to playtest with our Closed Alpha members remotely. Initially we started developing our own platform, but soon realized just how prevalent are digital platforms to play tabletop RPGs today. So instead, we set out to find the perfect virtual tabletop (VTT) platform for our game.
What does a ‘perfect’ VTT platform for Metanthropes RPG looks like?
- Free to play. We envision being able to offer introductory sessions of our game for free, to new players, so the VTT platform needs to be free-to-play as well. That means, that all the required functionality for the Metanthropes RPG needs to be available with a free account on the VTT platform, not behind any paywalls in order to see the effects or to access the character sheet.
- No installation required. Firstly, it is a matter of time for new players. We would love to not have to deal with installation issues, complicated procedures and delays that would hinder new players from accessing the game for the first time. Additionally, we would like our game to be accessible to all players, regardless of what kind of device they choose to access the platform with.
- Support our new D100 system. As Metanthropes RPG is not using an established RPG system, the platform needs to be able to support building a character sheet from scratch, with all the rules set by us, and not having limitations trying to fit our system to an existing template. As our game gets closer to release, we aim to have a variety of options to create new characters with, and the VTT platform needs to be able to scale up to meet our needs.
- Assets that support multiple genres. Metanthropes RPG can be played in any setting, so the platform needs to support various assets in both map types and tokens. From Sci-Fi to Mythology, from Cyberpunk to Modern, from Galactic scale all the way down to Quantum, Metanthropes RPG needs a platform that provides all these assets and a scope that fits our vision.
- A plethora of effects during gameplay. One of the benefits of playing an RPG on a VTT platform, is the ability to use special effects and animations to help with storytelling and player immersion. Our Narrators should be able to easily implement effects during gameplay that enhance player experience and help bring their Sagas to life.
- Integration with our website. An online companion sometimes is not enough. Although we aim to have a browser & mobile friendly website available to our players to explore the vast content of Metanthropes RPG, the ideal VTT platform would be able to integrate with our website one step further. From Single-Sign-On to being able to create and edit character sheets, we have a lot of ideas on what we could accomplish, and we will be talking more about our goals during the Beta phase of our project.
During the first few months of the pandemic, we set out to evaluate the available VTT platforms and we fell in love with Astral Virtual Tabletop almost instantly. As it stands today, Astral VTT checks all the above boxes besides the integration part.
For the past year, we have been using Astral VTT and gained more than 1000 hours of experience with the platform. It took us by surprise, to say the least, when we figured out just how easy it is, to write code and implement the Character-Sheet that we have now. We are planning to use more features as our game matures, this is only the beginning!
As we progressed through the milestones of Closed Alpha, we decided that we feel confident to use Astral VTT for our Open Alpha phase – exclusively. This means that you will not be able to play Metanthropes RPG in any other VTT platform, at least during the Alpha phase of development. If you have a favorite VTT platform that you would like to see Metanthropes RPG on, please leave us a message in the comments below.
The past year has been quite a ride, and we cannot wait to show you all that we have been working on. Make sure you book your seat in the upcoming Sessions to see all that we have in store for you. See you in the Metaverse!
- Read more...
- 0 comments
Metanthropes of distant lands, alternate Timelines, and other-worldly Dimensions,
I bid you welcome to the last Blog post of the Closed Alpha version of Metanthropes RPG. We are LIVE! Metanthropes.com is open to the public and the first Open Alpha members started joining in. The game’s content, and the website's features will be updated every week, as well as improving the user experience. Join us in this endeavor by providing us with your precious feedback, and by this way helping us manifest our vision.
Newest updates include the first three Chapters of the game (Enter Meta, Rules, and My Character) being edited (courtesy of @marouliz), a new digital Character’s Sheet, and the addition of a plethora of Possessions from all eras (from a Viking ship, to cellphones, and spaceships). Chapter 4: Metapowered will be accessible to all Audience members and above. You can increase your Community Reputation by being active in the community and participating in events.
More updates on Community Reputation, Metapowers, Combos and more will be elaborated in future Blogs posts for all our Open Alpha Members. All aboard the Hype Dimension! This feels like the culmination of a prolonged effort, but in truth – this is just the beginning.
Visit here for more about how to create a new Metanthrope:
Visit here for more about the new Character Sheet:
Visit here for more about Reputation & Rewards:
- Read more...
- 0 comments